Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First post from Korea!!

I would say sorry that this is so delayed, but after getting barely any sleep the night before my journey that included a 14 hour plane ride, jet lag hit me hard guys. Like so hard my roommate and I were in bed before 9 the last few days. Today (Tuesday for me) was the first day I felt normal enough to eat a good amount at meal times and was the first day I didn't feel like collapsing from exhaustion at around 4 o'clock.  Seriously, want to torture someone? Put them on a 14 hour flight. Even with lots of entertainment and good food, it was exhausting.

Anyway, travel went smoothly and things are going pretty well. I had my first Korean class today, which was dubbed 'survival Korean.' I was excited that I knew most of the phrases we were taught, and I also realized that by learning these key phrases, I probably speak more Korean than most people in the world ever will! Crazy!!

Right now, we have orientation so I'm getting the basics about teaching and some info about Korea. It's a lot of long days (today I started my day with a 7:30 am extensive medical exam- FUN) but I'm happy to be here.

I have already learned a couple of things about Korea, the most important being the fact that I will NEVER complain about humidity again at home! Here we are talking like 85 degrees with 89% humidity, aka it feels like death. I have no idea HOW people function here without AC (and many do, since they're having an energy crisis, all government buildings have been ordered to severely limit or even stop using AC. YIKES). 

Here are some pictures of my first few days here in the Land of the Morning Calm!


Pre departure meal- getting my peace sign ready!

Korean BBQ with the fam before I left

In a post flight and 2 hour bus ride haze, we received EPIK swag bags, which included:

Legit. Embroidered towel! 

As I said, we had a 2 hour bus ride to Daejin University, home of EPIK orientation. I haven't actually seen Seoul yet, but we have a field trip there this Thursday, so I'll get a glimpse of it then! Here are some shots of the beautiful university!














As part of our welcome, the National Taekwondo Performance team (I think that's what they were called) did a demo that was AWESOME



This guy is doing a backflip while
simultaneously breaking two boards




And I've also started trying things I recognize from America to see how different they are, such as these two drinks



I like this taste better here. It's less IN
YOUR FACE than in the states
This is waaaaay sweeter here and I
didn't really like it


So there you have it, my first update from Korea! I'll try and update regularly, but I have no idea what my life will be like post-orientation, so until things settle down, keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that you may be expecting me to post when I'm actually asleep! Yay 13 hour time difference!!!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time Christina! Definitely look forward to reading your posts! Safe travels :)

    ReplyDelete