Friday, June 13, 2014

Jeollanamdo Day 3

Our third day also started bright and early. I stopped to take pictures of our cleverly named hostel



named after the famous Jeonju bibimbap,
no doubt


We stopped for a traditional korean breakfast- it's a soup with bean sprouts that you mix rice and an egg into. 




And then we got time to see Jeonju


This was some meatball thing and it was
DELICIOUS. 





The Hanok village from above



The oldest catholic church in Korea


Don't get excited, it's like 100 years old and that's it.


French dude. Probably a martyr 






Next we went on a hike at Maisan mountain. Mai in chinese means horse or donkey, and the mountain is named as such because there are two big rock formations at the peak that make the mountain look like horse ears. Korean adopted a lot of it's language from Chinese, so that's why some of the words sound extra foreign. For example, one of the two number systems is called Sino Korean, and is from Chinese. Fun times. 


This was honestly one of the calmest, easiest hikes I've done in Korea. Normally, hiking involves a LOT of legit rock climbing. Not so much here. Huzzah!






There was a monk at this temple who dedicated his life to building giant rock pillars at this temple. Like, hundreds upon hundreds of these columns. I feel as if I have accomplished nothing now. 








This is him. He did this for like 75 years








WHAT EVEN


We got to beat the drum- it echoed between
the horse ear peaks and was awesome

This alcohol is literally my worst nightmare.
Apparently it promotes men's stamina?

After the hike, we got some food (I got grilled pork belly- samgyupsal. It's awesome), and hopped back on the bus. Our journey back to Seoul began, and we were all grateful to just be able to sit and relax. It had been a whirlwind of a weekend, with lots of beautiful sites and time spent with awesome people. 


I can't wait for the next one! I hope you've enjoyed your mini tour of Jeollanam-do province, which I probably should have told you means South Jeolla, because Jeolla is the southernmost and least developed of all the provinces in Korea, hence all of the traditional housing and such. It was a great trip, and I'm so glad I decided to check out such a great province. 

There you have it. Still expect a normal post Sunday ish about my week, which was relatively busy (hence me not posting this till Friday). Have a great weekend!


And for Kpop, because why not?, here's a song that I stumbled upon purely by accident. Seriously, I don't even know how I ended up on this song...?

Buuuuut I really like it (not just because the video features Lee Joon and Mir from MBLAQ). It's a catchy song with a good beat, and I just really dig it.





and here's another song from Taeyang's new album, Rise, featuring a much anticipated 'bed scene' ooooooh wow. It's not really that crazy haha, but MAN am I digging this album.




What I am NOT digging is Taeyang's STUPID BRAIDS. WHY ARE THEY BACK UGH. Homeslice, that's why you never get the girl man. Stupid braids.

No comments:

Post a Comment