Sunday, July 31, 2016

Camp, Zombies and W

Weird title huh? It'll make sense later. 


Soooooo Young Ah got two of my 6th grade classes to make a goodbye video for me... She even used 2 of my favorite songs, cause dad used to sing them all the time around the house. It's so adorable, isn't it? I also received many interesting renditions of my face via 3rd grade drawings. Haha it's been a challenge saying goodbye, but also a fulfilling reminder that, even thought was hard, the kids did love me like I loved them.

My teaching journey here in Korea ends with English camp, which is usually the bane of every native teacher's existence. It is a lot of extra work with like zero rewards. This year, I prepped a lot to help Sun Kyung, but we also decided to do very chill and lowkey activities, so that has been making the task much easier. It's the easiest camp I've done, both in prep and in action, and I couldn't be happier.

For our special classes, we did mosaic coloring, where the kids color only part of a picture then have to put it together. On friday, I taught them how to make s'mores! It was awesome.




What is NOT awesome is that the bathrooms are under construction, so we had to move buildings to do camp. When did they tell us? Thursday. When did camp start? Friday. So, because we have a lot of materials in the office, we have to hike over to the Eng room and haul lots of stuff every day. I also need to trek there if I need to use the bathroom, because the middle of my school is gutted.


I also broke out my old skills at string games, but teaching elementary school students takes like 30 minutes to do a simple one haha.


Found a familiar face in the teacher's room that we are borrowing.


Ces came over to hang out after camp one day to destress, cause its annooooying. We decided we needed ice cream. Hersheys Coco Slush Ice. hahaha the names here, man.


Ok thanks timehop for being really scarily
accurate right now. I also did not think I was
capable of living and adjusting to Korea so well.
The last Wednesday of the month is cheap movie day in Korea, so Grace, Ces and I headed to see 

부산행 Train to Busan 


It is definitely one of the better zombie movies I have seen, with the virus being fast acting and the zombies being uniquely fast (so it's more like 28 Days Later than the Walking Dead). It was a bit long but still awesomely paced, with lots of great scares. Sun Kyung asked me why I would want to pay money to see blood, gore and death and to be scared. Haha, I'm actually not sure, but it was super entertaining. We saw it without subtitles, but my Korean is good enough to understand about 80% of the movie, especially since the dialogue usually has to do with the zombie situation at hand. 

SEE IT IF YOU CAAAAAAN.


On Friday, Sun Kyung and I left school early (I usually have to stay till 4:40 even after camp) so we could meet up with one of the other teachers who used to work at our school. She moved schools last year (they change every 5 years in Korea) and she just had a beautiful baby girl, so she's busy, but I'm so happy she made time to meet up with us, so we could hang out like we used to in our office. It was noisy, cause they're chatty, but it was always entertaining and fun. Much more social and bright than this year, because of the crazy teacher in the office -__-

We had way too much fun chatting and laughing. I'm so lucky I got to meet so many wonderful people here.

Sun Kyung makes the best faces in pictures haha


Cesca, Grace and I were supposed to do something for Arirang TV Saturday, but the lady told us around Weds it might need to be postponed and she would let us know. Then never contacted us again??? SO we waited but decided we wouldn't do it regardless, so we went to a racoon cafe instead, because Grace's BF had never been and we promised we would go together. 






One of them really liked my bracelet and tried to steal it!!! It was hilarious yet terrifying.





After a lovely evening, Ces and I hung out at her place before dance. I had been anticipating a new drama starting last week, but I normally wait till they're finished to start, since the anticipation can be killer, or for kdramas in particular, they start well but fizzle, so I wait for reviews. 

But after following the press, knowing the writer is the same one as Queen In Hyun's Man (my favorite drama) and Nine: Time Travel Nine Times (another awesome time travel drama), and hearing Sun Kyung gush about it, I decided to start it and follow it weekly. It's amazing, so I roped Cesca in as well. 
His says "Now you can't go back/leave" and her's says "I'm certain that woman is the key to my life."
It's called W or Two Worlds, which some people interpret to mean double u as in 2 universes, because that's the conceit of the drama. 

Image result for w two worlds

The woman, Oh Yeon Joo, is a surgical resident at a hospital in Seoul. She's not confident nor that talented, but does her best. Her father is a famous webtoon author. While he was unknown at first, his webtoon "W" became a critical success in Korea. The main hero, Kang Chul, is talented, smart and rich. But the reason for the title? W. It means Who and Why. 

Kang Chul's entire family was murdered, and he wants to know who did this and why.  Kang Chul vows to find the killer and sets out to become a successful businessman in order to fund his research and attempts to find the killer. Thus far, the killer is unknown. 
Two worlds, two people, in an inter dimensional romance and mystery filled drama
When Yeon Joo's father goes missing the night the final issue of the drama is due, she goes to his office to investigate. She's shocked to see the ending that her father has been working on, but is even more shocked when she is pulled into the webtoon herself! Before she knows it, Yeon Joo becomes an integral part of the webtoon that has now taken on a life of its own. But what are the consequences of such interference?

Chaos, hilarity, romance and mystery ensue in a drama that I KNOW is going right on my favorites list. 

Anyway, just watch it. The actor, Lee Jong Suk, is one of my favorites, having been in I Can Hear Your Voice and Pinocchio. It's so gripping from the start, and I love a good time travel mystery drama. SO GOOD. 

And theeeeen...

We went to dance class and thoroughly did not enjoy it, as it was a guest teacher and a song we don't like. But Pau, Ces and I had fun. 


I have less than 30 days in Korea, and only 4 days left of teaching camp before I'm on vacation till the end of my contract. This is a scary thought, but also exciting. I'm ready to see where my life takes me next, hoping for a new adventure!! After I relax at home with my cats for a bit, of course. 


Eeeeek this is strange! Hoping time flies but also doesn't go too fast??? Gaaaaaaaaah



No comments:

Post a Comment