Saturday, May 8, 2010

I will be here

I will be here...
Why?
I'll be waiting here...
For what?
I'll be waiting... for you,... so... if you come here... you'll find me...
I promise.


And with those beautiful words, the game Final Fantasy VIII began, and a total of 40+ hours played, it has ended.

It was just as wonderful as I remembered it.

I know I won't ever forget how wonderful that game is, but playing it every so often reminds me why I love it so much. Those diehard FFVII fans can have Cloud any day. Give me Squall and Rinoa and I'm set for life. For my friends, Final Fantasy VII is widely regarded as the best in the series, and I tend to disagree, because I think VIII is all around a better game. Just so you know. Not that it matters much. Anywho...

It is a bittersweet feat to accomplish. It is sweet because the ending makes all the hard work and frustration worthwhile. The ending never fails to take my breath away, and it is soooo much better when you have to work your way through the game to see it, rather than looking it up on Youtube. It is bitter, however, because after over 40 hours of time spent listening to and learning about these characters, they become so dear to your heart that to part with them is almost unbearable. I know they have a happy ending, but, as with all FF games, I wish they could go on forever. It's like the Harry Potter series. I know I wasn't the only one who was sad that the series was over and that there would be no more book releases or eager anticipation of what happens next.

So, as the semester draws to a close, I look on to the future, towards Final Fantasy X. This game is almost tied with Final Fantasy VIII for my favorite game, because they are just so magnificent. FFX has the advantage of better graphics and voiceovers, plus a beautiful story, but FFVIII also has a beautiful story, spectacular graphics for its time and a special place in my heart. And I'm so glad I got to share it with Sarah. It's a wonderful, geeky experience to be squealing together after a boss fight is over, and it is a special bond that I don't expect everyone to understand, nor desire. And I don't mind. It's good to have some different interests.

So, looking ahead, I must complete my paper within the next 2 or 3 days, get my presentation checked for Monday, and study a lot. Then it is goodbye homework, hello freedom!
I can't wait!

^representing freedom ftw

No comments:

Post a Comment