Saturday, July 3, 2010

Remembering

I walked into my house today confronted by the sight of some things I didn't expect, but should have. A couple of my grandmother's old coats that she hadn't worn in years... Some yarn and patterns she used to use to make our afghans in any color that we wanted... A box of her favorite chocolates that she used to give to us if we were good, which my grandfather had probably brought to her to try and remind her of years past, and which she will never share again... The days of 'helping' her with crossword puzzles and jeopardy are long behind me, never to return...

Losing a loved one is hard, no matter what the circumstances. We all knew it was coming eventually, sooner rather than later, but for me it was still a shock, as when I had talked to my mother a few days prior, she had said my grandmother seemed better...

It hits me sometimes, even though I haven't cried too much. For some reason today, after a fun filled hang-out-with-friends-and-do-random-things kind of day, the chocolates on the counter surprised me, because it always was a special treat when my grandma would share (although, looking back, I think she liked sharing them more than eating them). I thought writing out my feelings might be therapeutic, and I know that I have the support of all of you behind me.

So Grams, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, I promise that I'll remember you always, love you forever, and cherish the time we spent together... Love always, Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment