Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Weekend in London



So this first weekend in London has been awesome. Like, not just normal awesome, but exceptionally out of this world I'm not exaggerating awesome.

The rundown:

Friday night we went out for a small celebration and chilled and watched a movie. It was relaxing and nice. I also met my internship boss and found where I was going to be working: Piccadilly Circus at a stationary shop called Pall Mall Stationers. It's cute and lovely and the best part is it is literally right next to Her Majesty's Theatre. For those of you out of the loop, that is the theatre where Phantom of the Opera has played since 1986. So prime.
Saturday was epic, as I utilized my close proximity to do a spur of the moment trip to see Phantom. I wasn't planning on it until later, but I heard via twitter that Gina Beck was substituting for Christine that day and I had really wanted to see her. Unfortunately John Owen Jones, the main Phantom, was sick with swine flu so his standby Scott Davies went on. He was alright, but I've seen better. Which can be said for the whole show overall, I think it falls short of my Broadway experience. Gina was amazing. I was never wholly impressed by her from the videos I saw, but live she was great. Will Barratt was a nice Raoul, but Sean has the crown still. I've seen better ensemble members but overall it was great! I can't wait to go back like 4 more times. Tickets are so cheap here! I also hope to catch Billy Elliot and Les Mis.

Saturday was also the day we moved our stuff into the flat. Hauling two 40 pound suitcases up 3 flights of narrow stairs wasn't that prime. But it is all here and that was a relief.

After I returned from Phantom Andrea, Liz and I went grocery shopping at Tesco. Bought lots of good food, hopefully and hauling it back wasn't a fun time, but we made it. We unpacked and it felt much more like home. Can't wait to finish unpacking.

A great end to the day was going to The Goose for fish and chips. I hate fish, but I may have been converted. It was AMAZING. So delicious. Andrea and I split one, but it was so delicious I probably could have eaten like 10. Then we visited the flat of Casey's friends nearby and hung out laughing and joking while Liz triumphed at Harry Potter trivia. Upon realizing it was late, it was a mad dash for the tube. We caught the last train back to the hotel, which was kind of exhilarating.

Today, Sunday, we decided to be touristy and went to the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace. I sat on Casey's shoulders for a bit to see, but it was pretty boring. That is, until the band started up. They started with some Jazz music, which was strange, but then segued into, get this, a Disney medley. I kid you not. We pretty much laughed through the whole thing.




Quote of the video? During Colors of the Wind at about 40 seconds- Casey: This one is particularly ironic because it was the British settlers who killed Pocahontas's people...
Now we are just chilling and settling in today. Such a prime weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment