Friday, March 19, 2010

Memories

"Memories! Memories are like fireflies darting across the surface of my mind, showing me here and there images so sharp and vivid that I catch my breath in wonder before the vignette disappears, sinking like a pebble into the quicksand of regret and recrimination."

It's a quote from Susan Kay's Phantom, which kind of goes through the Phantom's life before and during the timeline of the Leroux novel. It feels sort of appropriate here...

I visited the high school today with my wonderful friend Heather, who I carpooled with for the entirety of high school. She's so cute and peppy, and invited me to come join her; she wanted to watch the Tech rehearsal of the show, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, as the show will take place when we are back in school. I decided to go. It would be fun to see old friends and faces at the rehearsal, and I could finally just relax and watch for once, instead of being stressed out and running around changing costumes and such for the shows.

But god, how much it made me miss it! I miss the dancing, the singing, the long pauses, the dropped lines, the miscues and the general fun we used to have. Some of my best friends are from the theater, and I miss everyone and everything dreadfully. It made me miss dance, made me miss the torment and exhaustion of running scenes and dances over and over again till my feet bled (it's happened quite a few times) and I was too tired to move...

Who would have thought I would miss the musicals and tech week and dress rehearsals and all that when I left high school. I though it was all just going to be a memory, but going back makes me wish, if just for a moment, that I was still in high school...

Wait, never mind. I love college =) Although there were plenty of cute guys there. Oh god, I hope I'm not becoming a cougar... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment