Thursday, March 18, 2010

Remember Me

So, I just got back from hanging out with my lovely friends from home. We were playing Final Fantasy XIII after we saw the movie, and I'll be updating on that later cause it's freaking awesome and I really want to play.

I just had to review this movie because it is amazing, I highly recommend it and I wanted to say stuff before I forgot about it.

The movie starts off with the murder of Ally's mother when 10 years prior to the movie, which makes her father (a police officer) sort of over protective.

Cue Robert Pattinson- Tyler. He's sort of a lost almost 22 year old. The year upsets him because his older brother, Michael, killed himself shortly after his 22nd birthday 6 years prior to the start of the film. He sits at a diner they used to eat at often and writes notes to his brother, saying things like "Gandhi once said everything you do in your life will be insignificant, but it's important that you do it anyway" which is kind of a theme for the movie. He's a great older brother, but he doesn't much care for his serious, business man father, played by Pierce Brosnan, who I still picture as James Bond from my childhood.

Anywho, Tyler is kind of drifting through life when one day he tries to stop a fight. The officer kind of blows him off, so Tyler starts arguing with him, gets beat up and arrested. The arrest kind of shows into his life, about how he doesn't like his dad, who is a workaholic, etc. Anyway, it turns out the officer is Ally's dad, and Tyler knows who Ally is. His roommate Aidan tells Tyler to ask her out and use her to get revenge. Tyler is kind of a pushover about this, so he asks her out, they start out awkward, but eventually find comfort and peace in the midst of their mutual tragic pasts. Tyler's 'notes' to his deceased brother Michael serve as a wonderful framing device for the movie.

The movie does a great job of showing how their relationship makes Tyler a better person and give him direction in his life. He begins repairing relationships in his family and making an effort at life. However, the truth must eventually come out as things spiral out of control for everyone.

Now, lets be honest, with a title like Remember Me, something in there has got to be worth remembering. And it is. The final scene of the movie is both heartbreaking and beautiful. I won't spoil the ending, but I cried. A lot. It's subtle, but you can catch it if you try.

So, best scenes of the movie for me were definitely 1) the fight between Tyler and his Father after his father misses the little sister's art show. The intensity between them is amazing. 2) the ending- Rob's voiceover is especially poignant, poetic and gut wrenching.

For me, it is a must see. I'd go again if anyone wanted to, not only because Rob Pattinson, to me, is jaw droppingly handsome, but also because his acting is amazing. He far surpasses the demands that the Twilight Saga places on him (which is really just to look broody and good) and morphs into a serious, legit actor in this movie. Every time he's on screen I just wish there was a boy with smoldering eyes that looked at me like that. God. It was sexy.

So yeah, if you haven't seen it by the time we get back to school, it's worth taking the trip to the regal to see. I'd gladly pay to see it again. I'd give it 5 stars. I laughed, I cried, it was a good time.

Not only the sexyness, but the acting and story in general, I thought it was all beautifully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment